Sunday, 4 August 2013

Hung out to dry

Before I headed out yesterday I noticed that we were drying several, colourful microfibre cloths all at once.
Even though this is a RAW conversion, I'm still unimpressed by Adobe ACR so I am looking into several options (one being very drastic - guess which one I mean):

  1. Move to PhaseOne Capture (for now Express, until their v8 of Pro comes out later this year)
  2. Use camera jpegs more frequently
  3. Change to Apple OS and use Iridient Developer
  4. Leave Fuji entirely (and X-Trans)



The fact that Adobe try to force an upgrade by not supporting new RAW formats was already a PITA and I've spent money on LR4(.4) seeing if I like the LR workflow. The answer was "no". Then I tried (spending more money on) MetaRAW, which allows use of other RAW "engines" without having to upgrade to Photoshop CC. To their credit it's great work but it still doesn't fix my problems with ACR.


Now it's got to the point where I've fairly annoyed and something drastic has got to happen.
To top it all off, the Apple OS option is now part of the equation as my Windows laptop is on its way out.

I'll post an example of my RAW conversion problems later.
In the meantime, here are those microfibre cloths...

ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/210, RAW

2 comments:

  1. I guess the most drastic step would be bidding adieu to your Fuji X100s. Really I think manufacturers have the obligation to see that their camera's RAW files can be handled effectively by the most common third party software. How about one of those new Panasonic GX7s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Björn, yes that would be quite drastic. As you can imagine, I'm not overly keen on selling it before I've given it a bit more time as it would be a financial hit too.
    I've also thought about the GR but I think 35mm is a bit more flexible for my needs. I love wideangle but 28mm is not wide enough to be "fun" and a bit too wide at times to be my one-lens camera.
    As for the GX7, on paper it has everything I want but now that I'm using an APS-C sensored camera as my carry-everywhere, do I want to change that to a smaller sensor? I don't know. I might take a look at one when I get to Japan though :-)

    ReplyDelete