Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Historical perspective

Partly through having been in the same job for almost 10years (and being a bit bored of my immediate office area), my photography has stagnated.
Weekends don't always offer the opportunity I need to take photos, so I've decided to make more of either my journey there or of the one back home.

This morning I decided to take a little longer to get to work, via the overground, getting off at Wapping and walking from there.

Along the way I gave in to curiosity by the very old Prospect of Whitby and walked tentatively down some algae covered steps at the end of a narrow alley way.
There I was surprised to see a hangman's noose silhouetted (because the contrast was so high) against the Canary Wharf skyline.

Ricoh GRDiv, ISO80, f/9.0 1/1150s


The Ricoh GRDiv is supposed to produce its highest image quality at around f/4.5~f/5.0 so in hindsight I probably should have opened up the aperture a little more. I ended up at f/9.0 simply because my shutter speed kept hitting 1/2000s at the beginning and I took drastic actions to avoid it.

Unfortunately on the way back up the stairs I failed to see the thick, metal frame surrounding the open gate through which I had walked through on my way down and bumped my head hard.
I felt a bit dizzy for a few hours afterwards but don't seem to have suffered any further ill effects.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kesh,
    The shot may literally have been a pain to get, but the subject matter, composition and lighting are absolutely brilliant; one of my all time favourite shots of yours. Hope you're Okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Björn,

    Thanks!
    A few things bothered me a bit: the top of the hangman's noose interfering with Canary Wharf, the warped wood (esp top right) and the almost excessive dark on the right hand side.
    Having said that, this is the way it was and I think it deserved its integrity.

    I'm still surprised at how good the little Ricoh is in good light. It has probably taken better (unposed, unexpected) photos than the D700 ever has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kesh,
    I'll disagree with you on these points :-)
    The Canary Wharf buildings are just bland office towers that could be in any city, so I wouldn't say the noose is interfering with them. The distant silhouettes serve only as a reminder that there's a city back there. The warped wood I like because it implies the imperfection of something old. Finally, the black bar on the right perfectly balances the widening opening. It's a triangular balance withe the upper left and lower left black zones balancing the black area on the right. In my humble opinion, intuitively you got everything right.

    ReplyDelete