Monday, 28 April 2014

Night vision

This is a bit of a rushed post, as I am still recovering from a cold that I caught during my trip to Kos.
Having taken over 200 images on my Df, I have learned quite a lot about this camera.
One thing that I am comfortable to let it do is to use high ISOs that would previously been unusable on the D700.

For all shots, in-camera noise reduction was turned OFF.
I'm no expert in removal of noise in post-processing but this was handled for me by Topaz DeNoise 5.

The first shot was totally usable in colour but since the lighting was a very uninteresting sodium streetlamp, I decided it was better in B&W. Even at pixel-peeping levels the noise is very "organic" or film-like and pleasant.

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/60s, ISO16000



























The second photo of the cat was taken by the bottom steps of our hotel.
I'm not sure if I achieved critical focus but you might imagine how dark it was by looking at the size of the pupils of the cat's eyes. If that was a lens, it would be at f/1.0 :-)

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/60s, ISO20000



























Again, better in B&W as the red carpet was a bit distracting but fairly usable in colour?

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/60s, ISO20000



























Being Greece, cats are abound and seem to proliferate at night. Most of them scuttle around the bins or between cars but some prefer to do as humans do, hoping that they are out of sight.
Here again it was extremely dark and both the camera and I had trouble focusing.
I think the cat detected me but was a bit spooked by not knowing what I was up to!
Again I think the noise is OK, especially for web upload.

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/60s, ISO57470

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kesh,
    Judging by the last shot, you could easily have bumped up the ISO in photo of the cat on the red carpet. A faster shutter speed might have given you a better chance chance of getting a sharp face. I bet it's nice to have a usable ISO range that offers you so much maneuvering room
    The last shot of the cat on the scooter is wonderfully atmospheric. The soft light and colours are beautiful, and the ultra high sensitivity doesn't detract from the photo at all. The shot is nicely framed and the out-of-focus areas give just enough context for the subject.

    ReplyDelete