Monday, 28 July 2014

A bit of food and the last chance saloon...

I was out in town today, doing some shopping taking a few photos when I could and resting in between to get some food and rest.

We happened across a nice Greek restaurant/bar called Ergon where I chose to have a (fantastic) omelette and fries, as below.

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/2, 1/125s, ISO100



























A few shops later we needed another break.
It looked like this guy needed a break too.

Nikon Df, 50mm, f/2, 1/100s, ISO100


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kesh,
    I'm surprised you could hold yourself back long enough to take a photo :-)
    You captured a great moment in the second photo; there seems to be some sort of a stalemate as the two are sizing each other up across the barrier. F2 has worked really well, giving just enough context without the background becoming distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Björn,

    There's actually 1 chip missing but I managed to prevent further erosion while I took some frames.
    I have no idea what the discussion between the two was about. Later I saw them smiling and laughing so I think I just happened to catch them during an intense moment.

    I really enjoy the 50mm focal length because it's so versatile. It's simultaneously wide enough while being long enough which means I don't really want to change lenses unless it's for something specific (birds at a distance, a building close-up, etc). The bokeh is not always that nice though. In the original photo it was quite busy so I had to mask the couple and soften the background slightly, using gaussian blur. I have the "cheaper" 50mm f/1.8 because the f/1.4 doesn't seem to be significantly better.

    Unless I go for a Sigma ART or a Zeiss OTUS, there's not much in the Nikon range that fits the bill. So for now I'll keep going with the "cheap" 50. Apart from the occasional busy bokeh, it's small, light and a decent all-rounder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kesh,

    Better lenses always come at a weight penalty, never mind price. Some lenses are so good that you can accept that, not that I have any idea how the ART or OTUS compare to your 50/1.8.

    One lens I might make allowances for is Panasonic's Nocticron 42.5/1.2. I borrowed one from a friend and shot it on his E-M1 and was deeply impressed.

    Yes, 50mm is very versatile, although I'm beginning to think I prefer a kit centred around 35mm: 18, 35 and 85mm. I don't have either an 18mm or an 85mm lens, so that's a problem.

    ReplyDelete