Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Beach huts and a captain

When it comes to the British coastline, I don't expect white, sandy beaches but instead look forward to colourful beach huts.

I've seen them in West Wittering and more recently in Whitstable.
This was one of the first outings where I felt more at home with the 20mm f/3.5 AIS Nikon lens. Although I love wide-angles, perhaps I'm more used to the ultra-wide 14mm or the not-so-wide 24mm...and so it took a while for me to become accustomed to the middle-of-the-pack 20mm.


Nikon Df, 20mm, f/5.6, 1/640s, ISO50

Nikon Df, 20mm, f/5.6 1/320s, ISO50
Nikon Df, 50mm, f/3.2, 1/1250s, ISO50

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kesh,
    I wonder if you'd gotten close enough to him to use your 20mm if he would've smacked you :-)
    Love the perspective in the top photo: the eye is simultaneously drawn into two different directions.
    I'm also using the 20/3.5 and feel the same regarding its in between focal length. I guess you're using it because it's substantially smaller and lighter than your other options. I'm using it because there isn't anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Björn,

    He doesn't look too happy, does he?
    Luckily his other hand wasn't a hook and I was using my 50mm. I might take the 85mm next time but I'm not sure at what focal length it becomes less "street photography" and more "sniping paparazzi"?

    As for the top photo, the paths were quite dangerous. Kids were whizzing down on bikes and this intersection was particularly hazardous.

    I like the 20mm because it's small and light but it's also the widest lens I can currently find that is of a reasonable quality. Anything wider is either too heavy + big or a bit lacklustre. Maybe at some point Sigma may come out with an UWA "Art" lens.

    ReplyDelete