A few years ago I would have headed straight for Nikon or Ricoh.
I still have huge respect for what Ricoh (and Pentax) are doing but I don't feel right visiting them when I don't have a strong urge to buy the GR at the moment. To tell the truth I would like a GR but don't think I can justify it given that I'm veering quite strongly towards another camera.
As for Nikon, I think they make great cameras for pros (where money, backup equipment, accessories and assistants are plentiful) but as an enthusiast I've realised that I need a different camera. One where the equipment is still top rate but where I make some compromises.
To date the A7/A7R seems to be the best compromise digital camera.
So I arrived at the Sony Building and made a beeline for the A7/A7R space. Due to the successful marketing it had its own "room" staffed by at least 4 people.
I borrowed the A7R with 35mm f/2.8 first, focusing, taking a few shots, trying out different menu options, etc.
I then briefly borrowed the A7.
Both cameras feel significantly larger than the RX1 due to the integrated EVF and grip, but they were comfortable to hold and to shoot.
The EVF was (as reported) large and clear and the AF was fast on both cameras. Based on the short time spent with them I couldn't make out any differences in focus performance or accuracy. It could be that these manifest themselves in lower lighting conditions.
I also appreciated the flip LCD, build quality and the promised weather-proofing, which should mean that I can take either camera with me almost anywhere.
My current preference tends towards the A7R, now that my concerns for focus performance have been alleviated.
Based on expectations both cameras are groundbreaking and could be every photographer's dream camera.
My only reservation is that although the A7/A7R are tiny for full frame digital cameras, they are not pocketable and the new protrusions are likely to make them snag in bags or coat pockets.
As one of my primary criteria is "portability" this does concern me a little, but what little I lose in convenience is offset by the thought of having a D800E in a package that is maybe a third of the size and weight.
Here are some hurried photos taken on my iPhone. The first one has been processed using a fantastic iOS app called Leonardo (using a little masking, drop shadow and layers).
Here is the original:
One of the back:
Finally, a poor quality shot of the EVF:




Hi Kesh
ReplyDeleteGreetings to Tokyo. I was in the Ginza showroom way back in 2010, days after it all started with Sony's first two NEX cameras. It was also raining then. Interesting to hear that you can't tell any difference between the focus speed of the two FF bodies. The potential of faster AF was the only thing making me consider the 24MP A7. As to the size of the cameras, they're not that much larger or heavier than the RX1, especially when you consider that I have the external EVF mounted on my RX1 permanently. If that's still too large for you, you'll have to step down to APS-C. Maybe you could also get a tiny and cheap NEX-5R and use it with the FE 35/2.8 when you need a compact kit?
Hi Bjorn,
ReplyDeleteHi from...Kyoto! We arrived here just this evening.
Hopefully it wasn't just my enthusiasm making me believe that the AF speed was equivalent. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts once you get your hands on one when you visit Japan too.
I also read your post including comments about the lack of an electronic first curtain. I've been meaning to ask you what the implications of this are? I understand what a physical first curtain does but electronic?
Hi Kesh,
DeleteSo you'll be on a temple tour if you haven't already.
As I understand it, the electronic first curtain just "resets" the shutter from live view to a "blank" state at the beginning of the exposure. The normal, mechanical shutter then finishes the exposure. The advantage of the EFC shutter is that, unlike a mechanical shutter, the electronic version can't impart any vibrations to the camera before the exposure is made. What's not clear is whether the mechanical shutter is dampened enough so that it doesn't cause any significant vibrations prior to the exposure in the first place.
Hi Bjorn.
DeleteThanks for the explanation. The electronic first curtain (or EFC as I've read somewhere) sounds like the mirrorless evolution of the "mirror up" mode in SLRs to combat vibration. I guess anything helps.
Yes today was temple day. I've visited some of these before but many years ago...and I forgot how long one of these took!
I found a few answers here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52419862
ReplyDeleteI don't know (yet) if these Sonys can isolate the focus from the actuation of the shutter or whether different priorities can be assigned?
On my Nikon I prefer to do this and set it to shutter priority.
This was something I really missed on the slow Fuji.
At the brief hands-on session the shutter lag seemed as quick as on my Nikon...a big relief!
Have fun in Japan Kesh!
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you ended up at the same conclusion with your Fuji as Tom and I did. ;)
You can fight it all you want but you know the GR is the right camera for you, no other camera is that pocketable with the same image quality and customization. Tom is highly impressed with his.
You should consider getting a Sony a7 for your fashion stuff and replace your Nikon but the GR would be a better every day camera than the iPhone you're using and still fit in a jeans pocket. ;)
Have fun and will be interested to hear what camera(s) you end up with.
Hi Cristian.
DeleteThanks. I'm having fun here but time is flying by. I wish holidays could last forever!
Yes, I tried to love the Fuji but I couldn't.
After various experiences I agree that as an ultra-compact and performant solution, the GR is probably one of the top cameras right now.
What the iPhone gives me over the Fuji is pocketability and I know the Ricoh can give me that too.
What the iPhone also gives me is connectivity. No need to transfer files or having to use WiFi cards. When I'm standing (but idling) on the Tokyo metro or Kyoto bus I can actually process photos on my phone. I obviously prefer RAW ideally but this really decreases my upload time.
So...yes I'm very tempted by the GR (especially at Bic/Yodobashi prices. However guessing that I'll need to upgrade my phone over the next few years (another cyclic cost not considered by my wages) as well as other supporting hardware (PCs, software, etc) I might be with Bjorn on this one. I'd LIKE to have it but (especially if I'm considering the A7/A7R or similar) I can't easily justify it.
I'm planning on walking through Ginza again though so don't count this as final though... :-)
Yes, the Ricoh GR is an impressive camera and if money was no object, I'd add one to my kit as well. But since money is an issue, I need to make choices. I have to ask myself: is 28mm my focal length of choice and one I feel comfortable working with as my only option? (not in my case) Will I compromise on features like an articulated screen, EVF and/or the ability to change lenses in order to have an ultra compact camera? How small does my every day camera need to be? The GR is a great camera, but these days there are other very compact system cameras which can be used with pancake lenses (Panasonic GM1, Sony NEX-5R or 5T). Those are not quite as compact, but a little more versatile.
ReplyDelete