Friday, 14 June 2013

Last rays

I'm enjoying the views over the city from our new apartment but this evening's sunset was particularly spectacular.
The weather over the last few days has been pretty miserable, so I didn't expect such a beautiful sunset.
The dark, grey clouds gave way to an orange blast as the sun peeked from between tall buildings, giving hope for better weather in the coming days (or more realistically, weeks).

I didn't use HDR but used three exposures, blending the layers by hand.
I'm still not sure about the final result but I don't think a standard, one-shot exposure would have done the scene justice. I might play with it some more in the future and see if I can achieve something better.

ISO200, f/3.5, three exposures at 1/800, 1/200 and 1/50. Merged using PS. Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 G.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kesh,
    The danger of a view like that is that you'll be tempted to just stay at home ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Björn,

    I know I've been a bit quiet for the last month but I hit a busy period at work before my holidays.
    I took some photos during my vacation (which I'll be posting soon) but this time I let the beach and relaxation take over rather than photography. It was a welcome change!

    I was lucky with the shot. I just happened to come home, knew it would be a nice sunset but was fortunate to get the sun right between the centre of the buildings.
    I'm not sure I would fare any better processing it a second time around but I guess I would crop it narrower and lose some of the foreground, if I had to post it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I agree with your above sentiments regarding a slightly narrower crop, but I still think it works well. It's as if there is a party going on in the city centre, and the people living in the (comparatively) dull area in the foreground are completely unaware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin,
      Thank you!
      Yes, the narrower crop should have been more obvious to me at the time but I think I'm a bit rusty with my photography as well as my processing. My mind is always there but sometimes due to other things in life, the heart is not.
      I like your notion of the party and totally agree with it. Sometimes that's how I feel London is. You have the wealth of the financial district(s) in the face of the less affluent (everyone else).

      Delete