Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Mostly three

Today was our last full day in Osaka. We've been very lucky to be guests of my father's good friend who treated us to dinner again.
During the day we explored Osaka Castle as well as the "Tsutenkaku" and Shinsekai (new world) which is downtown Osaka.
Most of the limited (due to time constraints) photos of the castle are on the D700.

Here I took a few photos of some art structures near our hotel. A German Christmas market was being set up so I couldn't get any closer due to the focal length of the iPhone but I also couldn't walk backwards as it would have included the tools and equipment being used to assemble the Weihnachts-Hütten.

Three shapes, three colours:

After the castle, we visited the Tsutenkaku. At this point it was already late afternoon and we were low on energy so I only used the iPhone. Similar to the castle, the Tsutenkaku (tower reaching heaven) was ravaged by a fire in 1943 then rebuilt in 1956. It serves no real, current purpose other than being part of Osaka's history and a hit with tourists (sponsored by Hitachi).



Finally, we met with our host again this evening who treated us to an amazing, traditional dinner and Sake!
Just to add that it was my first time eating "fugu" (porcupine fish, globefish, puffer fish).

Three different bottles of Sake:

5 comments:

  1. Is that sun I see in the first photo!?
    I love the colours in the first photo and immediately had the impression I'd seen this trio before. I've responded on my blog...

    The photo of the 3 Sake labels is great as it illustrates what we non Japanese are often faced with: Since I can't read a thing, I can only choose a bottle based on the label I find the most appealing. I like the simple, graphic style of the one on the left. Did I choose well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottle on the far right is for me ;)

      Delete
    2. Martin, I feel you have an unfair advantage! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Bjorn.
    You know, you should work in advertising. I'll head over to visit your site in a minute :-)
    Yes you chose well. Actually I believe any of the three bottles would have been great choices, according to our host :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kesh
    Martin seems to know something I don't :-) But don't worry, my charming partner will be able to get to the bottom of these things when we're in Japan even if I'm a little challenged.

    Advertising you say? I'm one of those idealists who would have a tough time selling what I don't believe in. Probably wouldn't have any problems with the 3 products in your photo though.

    ReplyDelete